Monday, July 14, 2008

Our Precious Miracle

I was just reading all of the blogs and came across this update and more information than I knew. This is coming from Trent's cousin Michele and it is her mother that gave her bone marrow to our Grandpa.
THANK YOU
We are so thankful for all you guys have done for our family!!!

Hi,
As you all know, Mike was diagnosed just over a year ago with leukemia. Right from the beginning, the doctors started talking about a bone marrow transplant. So Candice and my mom were tested to see if they matched Mike.

There are 10 antigens in the white blood cells that could match in the donor and recipient. A good match is 7 or 8. My mom and Mike matched all 10. An interesting fact is that they have different blood types - Mike is O+ and my mom is A+.

After the testing, they decided not to do the transplant last year. Mike received lots of chemotherapy and eventually the leukemia was gone.

On May 14 (his 59th birthday) of this year, Mike received the phone call that the leukemia was back. He was back in the hospital 4 days later having a chemo treatment and he called to ask my mom how her bone marrow was. They needed to do the transplant.

So, this week we watched this miracle happen.

Each morning for 4 days (starting July 3), my mom went in for a shot (in her stomach) that increased the stem cell production in her bone marrow. Her bones were achy and she got headaches. On the 5th day, she received another shot and got a catheter put into her jugular vein. Then that morning, over a 4-hour period, 14 liters of blood were taken out, run through a machine that removed the calcium first, then the stem cells, and then put back into her body. 14 liters of blood is approximately 2-2 1/2 times her body's full blood supply. The next morning, the 6th day, she received another shot and then they removed 14 liters of blood again.

The first day's collection was one cup. 1% of that cup of liquid was stem cells. It looked like watered down blood. There were 2.7 billion stem cells collected the first day. That's a lot but Shawn could probably count them. There were 3.6 million stem cells per some unit of measurement (I can't remember what). They said that was a great number. We don't know the number of stem cells collected the second day but they figured it would be about 2 million per unit.

My dad and I went to the hospital on the second day. We watched my mom's blood run through a machine and then back into her. The second day they warmed the blood before it went back because the first day she got really cold (which never happens) from the cold blood. They also put calcium back into the blood before it went back because she felt very tingly due to a loss of calcium. We saw the little bag of stem cells hanging there and the plasma that was also collected. We watched the tech pack it in a cooler that is kept at room temp. A technician stayed with my mom and the machine the whole time both days. The tech personally delivered the stem cells to the lab.

When my mom was done, all 3 of us went to Mike's room. He had received his last chemo treatment 2 days before (July 6). The infusion of stem cells from the first day had just started. They are run into him like an IV. He has a line into his jugular vein. It took just over an hour or so. I sat and held the little tube and watched the cells run through it. The nurse kept checking his vital signs to make sure he wasn't having a reaction to receiving foreign cells into his body. While we were there, the nurse and other staff members came in with a birthday balloon. They sang Happy Birthday to him because it was the first day of his new life and being a new person.

The stem cells will take 2-3 weeks to ingraft (I think that's the word they used) in his bones. Then they'll start producing A+ blood. So, Mike's blood type will be changed. Over the next few weeks, he'll need blood transfusions since he has no bone marrow to produce blood. They'll give him O+ red blood cells but A+ plasma and platelets. If there are any remaining leukemia cells, my mom's cells will kill them off. As soon as his white blood count is 500 then he can leave the hospital but has to stay somewhere close. I don't know how long he has to be here in SLC.

It is an amazing miracle and so neat to watch. I'll try to attach some pictures. You can send this on to anyone that you think might be interested.

I will send the pictures we took also. But I will need help so it might be a few days until I get that done.

Love, Michele

3 comments:

jaMi n' beRt said...

tanya, you have such a cute little family! it is so good to check in on you..hope you don't mind. i just read about mike and my heart goes out to your family. bert wanted to know if you would pass a message to mike and tell him 'hello, and your family is in our prayers'.. i am just curious..about the tranfusions.. do you need donor blood..people to donate? if we can help in any way please e-mail me at jamidawnwright@hotmail.com or let me know on my blog..or give me a shout..keep your chins high and your knees bent in prayer because you will be in ours.. jami & bert

Linda said...

Wow... what a procedure. Isn't it amazing what can be done with science and medicine? I hope for all to be well, and Mike to make a full recovery. It sounds like it is going as good as it possibly can be!
If you get a chance, check out the new blog at www.teamsorensen.blogspot.com and tell me if the back ground is pastel stripes or not. I am having difficulty with my backgrounds... Thanks!

The Quarnbergs said...

I can't believe they can do that! We will keep you guys in our prayers! Who was it that gave the bone marrow?